Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Weekend: 1.5 mile run, 48 mile Steam-N-Wheels, leg cramps, a flat tire, bike crashes, and puking...twice.

I finished the 2009 Steam-N-Wheels bike race yesterday. It was a tough 48 miles, but eventful. Typically, I like to write about these things the day they occurred, but I was so exhausted after yesterday I was having trouble keeping my eyes open. I was so tired I actually took a nap in the middle of the afternoon. This is a rare occasion for me. I hate naps.

I started my day by going to the Abilene Family Fitness 5k fun run thing. Us Wellborns put the 'Family' in Abilene Family Fitness yesterday. Alison ran the 5k with her dad, Joe Cannon. It was his first running event and I think it was a thrill for. I know Alison really enjoyed getting to share the experience of competitive running with him. I think he is hooked. James was running in the 1.5 mile kids run and walk event. What is that, a 2.3k or something like? I let you do the math. Divide 1.5 miles by 0.6 and that was how many k's it was. Anyway, I agreed to push Maya in the stroller and follow James. Typically, with my longer stride I am able to walk at a moderate pace and keep up with James, but James was feeling it that day or something. He took off so fast I thought there was no way he was going to be able to keep running. I was wrong. I bet I had to jog with him for 90% of the way. He finished his race in roughly 20 minutes. I was impressed.

I left there in time to get to Nelson Park for the Steam-N-Wheels at around 9:00 am. This was plenty of time to do all the things I needed to do. What I didn't realize was the 1.5 mile "fun" run was more of a workout than I bargained for and I should have drank more water during and after it. In my mile 2 of my race my legs starting cramping. They continued cramping for the next 46 miles. I was proud of myself for riding through the pain. They were the worst leg cramps I have ever experienced. I also had a flat tire about an hour into the race. I passed a kid who had not eaten any breakfast and didn't have food with him. I gave him a bag of trail mix. Shortly there after that a couple of riders got tangled up and went down kind of hard about 100 yards in front of me. I stopped to see if everone was all right and to stop any cars that might be coming. I loaned them my Leatherman tool to un-jam a bike chain. The starving kid passed my while I was standing there. I started off again and was catching up to him when I passed a guy who looked to be in some pain. I asked if he needed anything and he quickly said he needed an allen wrench to lower his seat. I just so happen to have an allen wrench. I stopped to let him use the wrench. While standing there, the starving kid got tangled up with another rider and they both hit the pavement pretty hard. He did not have clips on his shoes and I guess his feet came off the pedals while crashing and he hurt the most sensitive of sensitive places. I checked to see if they needed anything and since I did not have an extra handle bar to replace his crushed ones, I continued on. This all happened in a 5 mile stretch. It was crazy.

I eventually finished the race. I am not real sure of my time because my computer keeps track of the time that I am actually moving and since I had to stop so many times I don't know what my official time was. When I was done, Alison was waiting for me with lunch. The food didn't really settle quite right and I threw up shortly after getting home. I tried to eat some crackers or something and to my surprise I threw up again, a lot. This is note worthy because these were only the third and fourth times that I have thrown up since middle school. The second time was after I over did it on a ride last summer. So that makes 3 times in less than a year. I sort of feel like I should count yesterday's as one time though. There was like 5 minutes in between them.

So there is my eventful March 21, 2009.

6 comments:

Donna said...

Oiy... sounds like a day!

Chances are you probably won't ever have a day this bad again! Gotta have'em like this to appreciate the good (so they say). LOL

Anonymous said...

You left out the misunderstanding that led to your wife snapping at you at the finish line. That was the icing on the vomit.

Kevin W said...

Well Alison, I was trying to be nice and so I left that part out.

Donna, it was rough, but I now know I can take a great deal of pain.

abigail said...

dude that's so intense...just so you know i tell people i have a brother and his family that do runs and bike races...y'all pretty legit around these parts...plus you have cute kids to double it! anyways just a tid bit of information :) love you bro i'm proud of you for stopping for those others!

abigail said...

wow eventful! just so you know i tell people all about you and your running/bike racing family...so yall are pretty legit around these parts...plus two cute kids to back it...but yeah i'm proud of you for stopping to help others very cool! love you bro!

Kevin W said...

That is sweet of you to say. Helping other cyclists on the way is the way of the cyclist. Cyclists should be willing to give their last inner-tube to a fellow cyclist in need.